Friday, April 29, 2016

royal daiquiri

1 1/2 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum (2 oz Caliche)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Parfait Amour (Marie Brizard)
1/4 tsp Sugar Syrup (omit)

Blend with 4 oz crushed ice for 5 seconds and strain through a wine sieve (shake with ice and strain) into a cocktail glass.

Two Fridays ago, I turned to the Royal Daiquiri in Beachbum Berry's Remixed as my evening's drink of choice. The recipe was crafted by Don the Beachcomber in the 1950s and utilized parfait amour as the sweetener in an otherwise standard Daiquiri format. Parfait amour is a type of crème de violet that adds to the floral notes and purple color with citrus notes as well as other flavors including vanilla, almond, and other spices that can come across as a bit candy-like to the modern palate. Despite my skepticism due to previous Parfait Amour failures, I was still willing to give this classic recipe a try perhaps due to a few bartenders I know fetishizing what others have likened to something reminiscent of purple jellybeans.
Once I undusted my decade old bottle of Marie Brizard parfait amour (it pre-dated Rothman & Winter's Crème de Violet appearing on the market and was one of the few violet options out there at the time of purchase), I set to work. In the glass, the Royal Daiquiri shared a floral aroma that led into a more standard lime sip. Next, the swallow had the classic's rum along with a somewhat agreeable vanilla, orange, and floral combination.

No comments: