Friday, March 18, 2016

bensonhurst

2 oz Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Old Overholt)
1 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
1 splash rinse Cynar (1/4 oz as an ingredient)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

It had dawned on me that I had never tried the Manhattan variation called the Bensonhurst. So two Fridays ago, I was able to find the recipe in the 75th Anniversary Mr. Boston cocktail book which attributed it to Chad Solomon of Manhattan's Milk & Honey. Since I viewed the ingredients like an adaptation of a Brooklyn when Amer Picon was unavailable, I adapted the recipe to my preferred Brooklyn ratio. Moreover, this idea is supported by Bensonhurst being a part of Brooklyn, and the end result was reminiscent of Phil Ward's gin-based Yeomen Warder.
The Bensonhurst gave forth rye aromas with a touch of Maraschino on the nose. Next, malt and a hint of cherry on the sip slid into rye on the swallow that was complemented by the interplay of funky herbal and nutty Maraschino notes.

No comments: