Thursday, September 3, 2015

hold the line

1 1/2 oz Privateer Silver Rum
1/2 oz St. Elder Elderflower Liqueur
1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
1/2 oz Lime Juice
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
For Yacht Rock Sunday two weeks ago, I was thinking of uses for Velvet Falernum and returned to the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club. Instead of orange liqueur, I opted for an elderflower one since the one drink on the Yacht Rocktail list using it, Hungry Like the Wolf, had been bumped to the main list where it is a top seller. The drink was a bit sweet, so I tried Angostura Bitters to beat back the sweetness and complement the falernum spice, but this took the drink in a dark and unpleasant direction. I, therefore, tried Peychaud's Bitters next and they worked great; soon, it dawned on me that I had formulated the rum drink similar to Brother Cleve's Bourbon libation the Ninth Ward. For a name, I opted for a song title from Toto from the playlist, Hold the Line.

No comments: