Tuesday, September 15, 2015

budokan

1 oz Hamilton's 151 Proof Demerara Rum
1 oz Sandeman's Rainwater Madeira
1 barspoon Demarara Gum Syrup
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass spritzed with shiitake mushroom-infused absinthe.

After the Hawthorne, I still had time in the Kenmore area before the game let out in Fenway so I made my way to Hojoko. I soon discovered that Yawkey Way was blocked off to foot traffic due to the game, but I was able to Jedi mindtrick the guard into letting me through to go get cocktails on the other side. Once there, I found a seat in front of bartender Stephanie Ann Wheeler, and I asked her for the Budokan. Bartender Daren Swisher later came by to talk about their rum Sazerac of sorts and described how Madeira often has a mushroomy aspect to it, and the shiitake-infused absinthe helped to reinforce that.
The absinthe rinse paid dividends in the aroma department. Next, caramel richness from the rum dominated the sip with perhaps some grape notes hiding in there, and the swallow showcased the rest of the rum flavors along with bitter herbal elements.

No comments: