Wednesday, April 2, 2014

power, corruption, & lies

1 1/2 oz Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac
3/4 oz Aperol
1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 pinch Salt

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass.
Two Fridays ago, I desired a drink after my shift so I took a detour down Beacon Street on my way home. That night, Jess Li and Emma Hollander were behind the bar, and it was to be Emma's last Friday night behind the stick. No, she had to explain that she was not leaving Starlite, but switching to a more managerial role while still bartending on Sundays and Mondays. For a first cocktail, I asked Jess for the Power, Corruption, and Lies and inquired if new bartender Tony Iamunno had crafted this one since it was a name he might come up with. Instead, it was Josh Childs who perhaps paid tribute to the 1983 New Order album.
Once mixed, the drink offered a lime and brandy aroma. Citrus combined with fruit notes from the Aperol on the sip, and the swallow began with the Cognac and ended with an Aperol and falernum's clove finish. I would be curious to taste this one with and without the salt to figure out how it modified the flavor components in this very drinkable Tiki-style libation.

2 comments:

Dagreb said...

F*ck*ng delicious!

Anonymous said...

Been fun wandering through your Starlite posts, since that's one of my neighborhood favorites. I enjoy your reviews!