Monday, April 29, 2013

19th century

1 1/2 oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon (Fighting Cock)
3/4 oz Crème de Cacao (Marie Brizard)
3/4 oz Lillet Rouge (Bonal)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Army & Navy, I reached for Tom Sandham's World's Best Cocktails and spotted a modern riff on a classic, namely the 20th Century. Here, Brian Miller from Pegu Club and Death & Co. swapped the original's gin and Lillet for Bourbon and Dubonnet or Lillet Rouge, respectively, and renamed it the 19th Century. The 19th Century is a drink that has not appeared on the blog to date, but it is one that we had at home before we started including such items here (in addition to the drinks we had out). I do mention the drink in a Bourbon Corpse Reviver #2 riff that Sam Treadway made me at Drink shortly before we made the 19th Century at home. Since we lack a fresh bottle of Dubonnet or Lillet Rouge, I opted for another quinquina -- Bonal.
19th century cocktail brian miller 20th century cocktail riff
The Bourbon worked elegantly with the cacao on the nose. Next, a lemon and grape sip led into a swallow that began with the whiskey and ended with the chocolate mixed with Bonal's bitter herbal flavors.

1 comment:

Tri2Cook said...

The 21st Century is my favorite of the variations I've tried (19th, 20th and 21st, the 21st being my least favorite of the three by a fairly wide margin). I do enjoy the classic 20th Century but there's something about the way the ingredients play together in this one that nudges it ahead for me.