Thursday, August 2, 2012

attitude dancing

1 1/2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac
1 oz Fernet Branca
3/4 oz Kümmel
1 oz Water

Build in a rocks glass and stir to mix. This is a room temperature cocktail, so no ice.

After the Drambuie event, I made my way over to Brick and Mortar for a nightcap. When discussing what I should have, bartender Kenny Belanger suggested a curious room temperature libation that they served for a Spin the Bottle event where Eastern Standard's proprietor Garrett Harker was on the turntables; while I did not see a set list from the evening, the Carly Simon song title to this drink might provide a few hints. In addition, I did not inquire about the recipe's source, but it appears to have Misty Kalkofen's handwriting all over it.
The Attitude Dancing shared kümmel's caraway and Fernet Branca's menthol on the nose. The Fernet's caramel paired with the Cognac's richness on the sip, and the brandy's heat began the swallow that ended with the Fernet and kümmel's herbal and spice notes. Overall, the drink made for a great nightcap, but it certainly had the feel of a morning Corpse Reviver.  Moreover, the liqueur choices reminded me of recipes I have seen and made from William Schmidt's 1891 The Flowing Bowl.

No comments: