Thursday, November 24, 2011

:: camano coffee mill review ::

A few weeks ago, Andrea was looking through Martha Stewart's Living magazine and pointed out a coffee mill in the holiday gift recommendation section. I replied that I had been looking on eBay for a vintage one to grind coffee at work, but I never pulled the trigger for I was unsure of how well they would work. However, I was getting frustrated with my coffee I ground at the store losing much of its glorious terroir flavors and aromas over the first week or two. Therefore, I started researching what modern mechanical options there were that would do as good of a job as the electric burr grinder attached to our Capresso coffee maker at home. After reading a few articles including a discussion on Chowhound, my research took me back to the same one that Martha Stewart had recommended -- the Red Rooster Trading Company's Camano Coffee Mill!
Some of the selling points were that each grinder is hand-built in the United States with the wood being walnut sourced from Amish woodsmen. Reviews praised how quiet and well constructed it was; moreover, at $60, it was a lot less than a good electric one. Most importantly, the grind was adjustable!
By simply lifting the washer, the threaded wheel at the bottom of the spring could be turned; turning it clockwise changed the spring tension and made the grind finer, and turning it counterclockwise made it coarser.
In tuning the grind today, I could make it rather coarse (left) or rather fine (right) with the desired medium in the middle (note that there is some cross-contamination of the grinds in each pile). I did not take them to the extremes so even finer for espresso grind seems quite doable. From the resultant coffee we made, it seemed like a success!

2 comments:

Michael Dietsch said...

Excellent. I've been looking for something to replace my blade grinder (and repurpose it for spices). This looks as elegant as it is functional.

Also, I've been thinking about broadening ADOB's range to other beverages than cocktails, so seeing a coffee-grinder review here is pretty cool.

frederic said...

Using Imbibe magazine as a reference, talking about spirits, cocktails, distillers, bars, bartenders, beer, wine, and barware mixes quite well with articles on baristas, coffee, tea, and brewing/infusion essentials. And soda, non-alcoholic libations, and some food.

I think if you still provide enough content that will keep your old readership happy, additional topics will bring in new readership and broaden the scope of your old readership (or that they just skip the article).

Strangely, it is the articles that I write that aren't about recipes that get a higher than average amount of traffic.