Friday, July 15, 2011

derby

1/2 Four Roses Whiskey (1 oz Bulleit Bourbon)
1/4 Sweet Vermouth (1/2 oz Vya)
1/4 White Curaçao (1/2 oz Senior Curaçao of Curaçao)
Juice 1/2 Lime (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass that had been pre-rubbed (inside) with a mint leaf. Garnish with a mint leaf.

On Saturday while our Grace Cup was steeping, I decided to make the Derby from Crosby Gaige's Cocktail Guide and Ladies' Companion. My translation of the proportions was backed up by CocktailDB. Overall, the Derby reminded me of the Delmarva #2 that I had at Green Street. And taking from that drink, I used the mint-rubbed glass trick that bartender Derric Crothers utilized and I have seen done at Drink in Fort Point as well. Rubbing the oils inside the glass adds an extra aromatic and light flavor component to the drink that surpasses the mint leaf garnish alone.
The mint leaf did pay dividends in the nose. The sip contained a pleasing combination of Curaçao, lime, and sweet vermouth. While Curaçao and lime seem like a natural combination, sweet vermouth and lime work rather well together such as in the Fig Leaf which I believe first appears in Gaige's book. Next, the Bourbon notes and the spice from the vermouth entered on the swallow to round off the drink. Essentially, the Derby is rather similar to the rye-based and mintless Oriental.

2 comments:

David said...

Hey, Frederic. Can I count on seeing you at Cure next week? I'll be there a lot, if things work out as they should. I can point you in the direction of the good drinks on the new menu...

frederic said...

I'll be in town Tuesday and will definitely be making it over to Cure at some point during the week!