Monday, May 2, 2011

[jupiter's dilemma]

1 1/2 oz Dolin Blanc Vermouth
3/4 oz Beefeater Gin
1/2 oz Combier Orange Liqueur
1/4 oz Cynar

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

For my second drink at Lineage two Fridays ago, I asked bartender Ryan Lotz for something to go with the lemon-asparagus pizza that was arriving. With a base of half Dolin blanc vermouth, the drink was definitely in the territory to be a good aperitif. Moreover, the Cynar and orange liqueur would probably work well with the vegetables and citrus flavors in the pizza. At first I wondered if I had ever had a drink with Cynar and orange liqueur together, but I recalled the Rosemary's Baby that I had made and the Sous Le Soleil that Andrea let me have a taste of, but both of those were quite a while ago. Furthermore, I have had Cynar paired with orange juice in Mortal Sunset and Wayne Curtis' Tango #2 variation.
The drink provided an orange aroma from the twist and Combier liqueur with a slight hint of dark notes perhaps from the Cynar. The orange continued on in the sip and was followed by a swallow containing floral notes from the Dolin blanc, citrus flavors, and a hint of bitterness from the Cynar. As the drink warmed up, the gin notes came more forward with a bitter orange swallow that reminded me of a Terry's Chocolate Orange candy. Overall, I was quite impressed at how well the Cynar toyed with the orange notes in the drink and how well the drink worked as both an aperitif and as a pairing with food.

No comments: