Monday, March 21, 2011

beacon fix

1 1/2 oz Reyka Vodka Beefeater Gin
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Luxardo Triplum Orange Liqueur
1/2 oz Rooibus-Bergamot Syrup

Shake with ice and double strain into a cocktail glass.

After paying a visit to Trina's Starlite Lounge two Sundays ago, we went up Beacon Street to Bergamot. There, the geographically named Beacon Fix tempted me, but instead of Reyka, I requested that the drink be made with one of my favorite flavored vodkas, Beefeater Gin. Beside my appreciation for Fixes, I was drawn in by the Rooibus-bergamot syrup. At first I figured it was a combination of Earl Grey and an herbal tea, but I discovered that local MEM Tea Imports makes an herbal Earl Grey that is Rooibus leaves scented with bergamot citrus oils.
Unlike the other Fixes, this one was served in a modern fashion in a cocktail glass instead of in a rocks glass with crushed ice and decorated with berries in season. The drink's aroma was rather herbal and almost floral from the Rooibus mingling with the gin. Upon tasting it, the sip was a sweet citrus that came across almost as a grapefruit flavor that was highlighted by bergamot and Rooibus notes. Meanwhile, the swallow contained the lemon's crispness coupled with the gin's botanicals. While I understand the bar's need for a vodka drink or two on the menu, the Beacon Fix gained a wonderful level of complexity and complementary citrus flavors from the spirit swap to gin.

Postnote 10/18/2011: I learned last night that bartender Kai Gagnon named the drink after a methadone clinic about a mile down the road on Beacon Street which is why the drink is served up like a cocktail and not on crushed ice like a Fix proper.

No comments: