Monday, July 19, 2010

kill divil

1 1/2 oz Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 Year Old Rum
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Molasses Syrup (2:1 molasses:water)

Shake with ice and pour contents into a rocks glass. Garnish with a lime wedge and a straw.

For my second drink at Green Street last night, I asked bartender Derric Crothers to make me the Kill Divil. I had neglected this drink for quite a while since it simply seemed like a Daiquiri that just used molasses instead of simple syrup; however, it was much more complex than that, and I am glad that I finally gave it a try.
The Kill Divil began with an earthy molasses nose that was colored by fresh lime aromas. The drink was no where like a Daiquri as the darker rum and molasses took the drink in a different direction. Most significant was the contribution of the molasses on the swallow which donated a delightful funkiness to the drink. Indeed, it reminded me more of a Corn'n'Oil than a Daiquiri. The Kill Divil lacked the Corn'n'Oil's spice notes from the falernum and Angostura Bitters but contained a lot more funky richness from the molasses than from the Corn'n'Oil's Blackstrap Rum.

2 comments:

Noah said...

Talk about serendipity... I came to the site today to search for recipes for my new bottle of Matusalem Gran Reserva. When I got to the site, the Kolb's Gem post was still the newest, but by the time I executed my search, this had appeared. Better still, I've had this drink at Green Street and enjoyed it.

frederic said...

Cheers! It could definitely be made with other rums, but why not use what they use if you got it!