Sunday, March 7, 2010

jubilee line

1 1/2 oz Beefeater Gin
1 Tbsp (1/2 oz) Seville Orange Marmalade (Housemade)
3/4 oz Triple Sec
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

On Wednesday night after catching the opening night performance of Paradise Lost, we headed down one stop on the T and paid Ted and Carrie a visit at the Craigie on Main bar. For my first drink, I asked Ted to make me the Jubilee Line; the drink was subtitled on the menu as "Breakfast in Kennington" which is probably a nod to the marmalade as a British breakfast staple. This orange marmalade was not purchased from the UK though, as it was handcrafted by Tony Maws, the executive chef and owner of Craigie. While I did not inquire about the specific recipe for the marmalade, I was told that its smoky notes were due to the inclusion of Scotch as one of the ingredients.
The Jubilee Line started with a ginny nose, and the sip contained bright citrus notes that dissipated shortly after the swallow. The marmalade gave the drink extra body and richness which converted what would be a simple White Lady (the egg white-less one) into something that tasted more akin to a brandy-laden Sidecar.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I think the Kennington in the tile refers to the name of a London Underground station that is the closest to the Beefeater distillery.
The drink sounds delicious, though I suspect may have worked better with a bigger gin punch. Maybe something like Miller's Westbourne.

frederic said...

Beefeater is one of the bigger common gins though. Junipero, which was at the bar, is a bit mightier. And Citadelle is rather punchy especially with it's citrus and juniper notes.

Miller's Westbourne would be delightful if we could get it here in Massachusetts at all (we can get the normal Miller's gin though). We've looked everywhere since we tried it at Tales of the Cocktail last July.

Thanks for the tip about the Underground stop. I stopped after my search turned up a famous marmalade producer in Kennington, and I did not think of the Beefeater connection.

Buzorak said...

This is like Salvatore Calabrese's Breakfast Martini. Take out the triple sec and it's Harry Craddock's Marmalade Cocktail.

frederic said...

I don't have my Calabrese in front of me, but thank you for the comparison to the Savoy recipe!