Tuesday, May 12, 2009

conquistador collins

2 oz Lustau Oloroso Sherry
1 oz Rhubarb Juice
1 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice. Fill collins glass with ice cubes (4 KoldDraft) and 2-3 oz club soda. Strain sherry and juices on top. Serve with a straw.

On Sunday night, Andrea and I went to Craigie on Main. While looking over the menu, the Conquistador Collins intrigued me. The base alcohol was not listed with the description of "Spanish spirit, Spring Cooler", and I was imagining a Spanish brandy of some sort. When I ordered the drink, I was pleasantly surprised that Carrie pulled out a bottle of sherry instead. Sherry can often add a lot of character to drinks especially as a substitute for vermouths. Here though, it was the base spirit. The dry nuttiness of the sherry worked well with the sweetness and flavors of the rhubarb juice. Moreover, the crispness of the lemon juice and soda water gave the drink a bit of an edge that complemented the sherry. My only complaint being that it was rather light and perhaps an ounce of brandy could bolster the drink's strength to match the Conquistador name. Otherwise, I was not disappointed by this tasty and refreshing drink.

No comments: