Thursday, April 23, 2009

[rhubarb rye]

2 oz Old Overholt Rye
1/2 oz Averna
1/2 oz Aperol
1/2 dash No. 9 Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Twist an orange peel over the top and discard the peel.

On Tuesday night after dinner, we stopped in at Drink. For my first cocktail, Aaron Butler made me something very similar to the Red Carpet that Kit made Jess at Eastern a while back. I asked Aaron for something with Aperol and rum, and he replied that he had an idea with Aperol and whiskey. The drink he made me was very much like a Black Manhattan softened by the Aperol. Orange oils hit the nose as the first sensation, and the sip gave into a bounty of richness followed by a bitter swallow. The flavor was reminiscent of a bittersweet chocolate taste.

1 comment:

Kaiser Penguin said...

Frederic,

I like this one; quite amazing how it starts out so sweet and finishes bitter.