Wednesday, October 1, 2008

[rum prospect park-like cocktail]

2 oz Goslings Family Reserve Old Rum
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Aperol

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

For one of my two drinks made by Hugh Fiore at Eastern Standard on Monday night, I gave him 3 boozes -- rum, Punt e Mes, and Aperol -- and left the rum choice and proportions up to him. The drink he came back with beyond my expectations.

The rum he selected was Goslings Family Reserve, Goslings' top tier dark rum which has been aged in oak barrels. The richness of the rum along with the other ingredients made for a rather chocolaty drink with a slight bitter edge to it.
Andrea made me pose with the gesture for this photo after I commented that the drink was like a "Prospect Park with balls".

2 comments:

dfan said...

I finally bought some Aperol (I don't think I had ever had it in a drink) and made a Prospect Park the other day (although with regular sweet vermouth instead of Punt y Mes). Very nice.

I am also using the Aperol as a gateway into Campari for Liza. She can't stand Campari, but she enjoyed the Contessa a lot (which I made with dry vermouth - I've seen recipes with both sweet and dry).

Any other Aperol recommendations?

frederic said...

Ones that I've made and written in my LJ about:

Friends Cocktail
• 1 oz Aperol
• 1 oz Gin
• 1 oz Dry Vermouth
Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Squeeze lemon peel over the top and drop in.

Unusual Negroni
• 1 oz Gin
• 1 oz Aperol
• 1 oz Lillet Blanc
Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass with an orange slice.

There's also a tasty drink at the Independent called the Perfect Pal which is Rittenhouse rye, sweet & dry vermouths, and Aperol.